Thursday, January 20, 2011

Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest

When I was in college almost 10 YEARS AGO (whew!) It came time for me to make my first "big" purchase. I was moving into an apartment with some friends and I needed a bed. So, I saved up my summer job money and when Fall came, I purchased this beautiful rod iron bed (my Mom, bought the mattress set....thanks Mom). I loved it. It was so perfect. Well, 10 years later, I don't really love it anymore. I don't particularly care for the rod iron. But, we need it for our guest room. We moved here this past September. Slowly I have been able to decorate and purchase a few things for the house. With money being as it is.........I did not want to spend a lot of cash on the guest room. HOWEVER, I have a friend coming next week who will be in need of a room. So, this week I decided to spend some time freshening up the guest room. It is not finished, for I would like to put a few more things on the walls. But, after a merely $20.00 spent on some new bedding, I must say I am pleased with the results. I decided to work with the rod iron instead of against it. I found some old frames that we don't use anymore because they are rod iron and re-purposed them for decoration. I pulled out an old clock that was a wedding gift and hung it on the wall. I made two throw pillows with some left over fabric to add some color to the room. And finally found a home for these used to be awful green curtains I had purchased a few months ago in a frenzy. (when I hung them up, my husband said, "those are terrible, they look like old people curtains".) I still have a set of the green curtain left over and I threw them in my "to be consigned" bag. Which by the way, I have made $12.00 in my most recent consignment experiment! This guest room re-do is not complete, but I am proud to say that I have not had to spend a lot of money so far to make a pleasant room for our guests. Only $20.00.
Cha-ching!




2 comments:

  1. It looks great Sam! You have such a knack for re-using in creative ways to make them look new again! Great job! ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks SUPER!! Love how much you used of what you had to create a beautiful space for guests!!

    ReplyDelete